It really does not seem like it has been a decade and a half since 19 savages hijacked four airplanes and used them to murder nearly 3,000 innocent Americans, injure 6,000 more, and cause lingering physical health issues for an estimated 18,000 more in addition to the mental and emotional hurt that the attacks caused for all Americans and our friends around the world.
It is hard to believe that there are now people who are old enough to drive or go see a dirty movie who weren’t even born yet when the towers fell, or when the seat of our national defense was struck, or when a handful of brave Americans made the monumentally difficult decision to sacrifice their own lives and the lives of a comparatively small number of others to prevent more inevitably massive casualties.
I am actually writing this piece more than a month in advance of the 15th anniversary of the attacks and, even as I do, I possess a mix of sadness, anger, and deep, intensely burning hatred for the enemy who struck a blow on America that day. The same enemy who continues to strike similar blows on a smaller scale around the world and, indeed, right here on our own soil after either being welcomed with open arms or simply exposed to the sickness of radical Continue reading
Earlier, Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, announced via Twitter he would meet with the gun rights organization.
“I will be meeting with the NRA, who has endorsed me, about not allowing people on the terrorist watchlist, or no fly list, to buy guns,” he wrote.
NRA chief lobbyist Chris Cox said the group has consistently opposed allowing terrorists to lawfully buy guns in the United States.
He said, “Anyone on a terror watchlist who tries to buy a gun should be thoroughly investigated by the FBI and the sale delayed while the investigation is ongoing.”
Cox said the government should be allowed to block the sale of guns and arrest individuals if evidence points to terrorist activity.
Trump did not say when or where he would meet with the NRA.
Trump’s announcement comes as the Republican Party attempts to respond to Saturday’s nightclub massacre of 49 people in the southeastern city of Orlando, Florida.
The gunman, Omar Mateen, had been investigated twice by the FBI and was on its terrorist watchlist for 10 months before being removed.
One year after Mark Oberholtzer’s story went viral when his former work truck ended up in terrorist hands, the 62 year old Texas plumber is back in the news – this time, seeking amends from the dealership who said they would “handle” his trade-in.
Back in October of 2013, Oberholtzer traded in his black 2005 Ford F-250 for a newer 2012 model. When he started to peel the decals with his company’s information from the sides of the vehicle, a salesman at AutoNation Ford Gulf Freeway in Houston stopped him and told him that they would take care of it so that the paint would not be damaged. Clearly they dropped the ball.
In November of 2013, the truck was sold at auction and, one month later, shipped to Turkey before making its way to Syria. In December 2014, photos of Islamic terrorists firing an anti-aircraft gun from the truck – with Olberholtzer’s company name and phone number still intact – hit twitter and skyrocketed to viral status with millions of views. The photos appear to be stills from a video by Jabhat Ansar al-Din, an Islamic jihadist movement operating in Syria.
As the photo picked up traction, Olberholtzer’s phones were ringing off the hook. His company received thousands of calls that included angry verbal harassment and death threats directed at him and his employees. They even got a visit from the FBI and DHS. As a result, he had to temporarily shutter the business and leave town to escape the harassment.
Olberholtzer is now suing the dealership for compensation in excess of $1 million for the financial losses and reputation damage suffered by him and his company. The full text of the lawsuit is below. Continue reading